Sauces, gravies, and condiments are a gray area on keto because the label can be the devil dancing in a tutu!
Generally, if you want to be overly strict, you should avoid all pre-made sauces and condiments unless listed below. Have you ever read the label of your favorite BBQ sauce? Try it now, run to the kitchen, look at the label and then come back and tell my HERE if you threw it away!
There are hundreds of recipes to create all condiments organically and/or naturally- I’ll get some recipes for you to check out, but to keep it simple, initially stick to these below:
- Ketchup (choose low, or no sugar added)
- Hot Sauce
- Mayonnaise (choose cage-free and avocado oil where possible)
- Sauerkraut (choose low, or no sugar added)
- Relish (choose low, or no sugar added)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salad Dressings (choose fattier dressings like ranch, Blue Cheese, and unsweetened vinaigrette’s)
- Flavored Syrups (choose acceptable sweeteners)